Friday, December 22, 2006

Message in a bottle

The fortunate ones only get to make 2 or 3 life changing decisions during their time on this earth. However, those that know that luck is earned, not received, know that every decision is a life changing one.

Since it has been a while since I’ve had a date to report and since the Dubai Dating Chronicles still need updating, I felt another serious post was in order. Yes, Yes, I know, two in a row

I was talking to someone yesterday who was about to go on a trip to see her Beau of the hour. She was about to go half way across the world to spend a few more days with the man that occupies her thoughts. That, in itself, is not a life changing decision. The life changing decision is the one of coming back.

Life changing decisions are not always as they seem. Calling the woman to ask her out is not life changing, her accepting might be. Choosing Italian where pasta sauce can end up on the shirt, instead of the classical French could also be life changing. Each and every one of us will come across those decisions and what separates the losers from the winners in life are how we go about making them.

Here are my 4 recommendations when faced with a LCD:

1. Never go with your first instinct. Yes, yes, I know this is contrary to what you have been told. Forget what you have been told, its BS. Always have a first instinct, then sleep on it, make the effort to forget it and think about it again. First instinct don’t come from the mind, they come from the gut.

2. Always take advise. Even if you don’t have anyone close. Always take advise. Even if you know you will disregard it later. Taking someone else’s advice forces you to explain the case to him. When you explain to someone, it forces you to organize your thoughts.

3. Dedicate time to thinking about it. Include it in your calendar. Or dedicate a specific time for it. For me, all life changing decisions get made during my 45 minute drive to work. This has two advantages. First, I know that I will be thinking about it during that time so I don’t worry about it before that. Second I know I only have 45 minutes, it forces be to actually make a decision

4. Never look back. Once the decision is made, get behind it 100%. Don’t hesitate. Trust in the fact that you thought about it and you are making the right one. Trust your own abilities

Well, that’s all I have for now. I am sure I will have more later and I KNOW I will have a funny story for you on Sunday. For those of you who prefer the lighter side of the chronicles, please come back on Sunday and I shall have another true Haroun El Poussah adventure to tell. It will be full of hope, disappointments, candor, and Haroun making an ass of himself. Again.

Until then, I wish you all Merry Dating, successful LCDs and happy sexual experiences

Haroun El Poussah

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what if the variables affecting this decision are volatile and forever changing?

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your listings are so true!! I agree 100%...

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm...I have really strong instincts and my instincts are always right. So I disagree on no.1

But with the rest, you are pretty much on point.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home